Ten Generations of Worship in the
Located in Henry County, Georgia U.S.A
Documented by Gene Morris Jr.
Henry County Historian
A Local Legacies Project Submitted to
The U.S. Library of Congress in 1999
The Second Abandonment
This seemed like an excellent plan; however, there are no records of Campmeeting being held from 1893 to 1900, 8 years. No one knows today exactly what happened. We know the Campground was in a state of disrepair. We can assume the railroad may have lured some people away to more exotic destinations. But, exactly why the people of Shingleroof chose to abandon this "time-honored custom" these "sacred precincts" is a mystery. In 1893, the Campmeeting was at least 62 years old and had survived some very hard times. We do know from the recollections of some old families that Shingleroof served as the site of countywide Sunday School Conventions during these bleak years of abandonment.
Several years ago, Evelyn Cook Burnett conducted personal interviews with people who attended these Sunday School Conventions including Mrs. Rosa Lou Turner Russell (1889-1987) and Mrs. Eula Kelley who both remembered attending Sunday School celebrations at Shingleroof in the 1890's. Mrs. John Cook (b. 1895) and Mrs. Myrtice Fields Hinton (1896- 1981) remembered participating as young ladies in the early 1900's. Mrs. Hinton remembered that Flippen Methodist won the banner one-year. Mrs. John Cook remembered that Union Methodist group stood at the corner of the campground nearest the Big Spring. It seems that the groups stood around the tabernacle while singing and being judged. Clarice Bowen remembered attending in the early 1900's as did John Shirley Elliott (1900-1984), Leaman Crumbley Elliott (1908-1988) and Rachel Elliott. Mrs. Annie Brannan Rowan(1892-1983) and Mr. Jesse Holloway attended these celebrations. They remembered that there were brush arbors scattered around the grounds. They all agreed it was an all day event held annually with an open invitation to all singing groups of surrounding churches. The group judged the best was awarded a cloth banner. This banner was held by the winning group until the next year and passed on to the new winners. In 1931, Henrietta Lambdin Turner confirmed the occurrence of the Sunday School Celebration in an article in The Henry County Weekly.
End of Chapter Five
Next Chapter | History Page | Photo Gallery | Home Page
Created by Scott Rowan Copyright (c) June 01, 2000. All Rights Reserved.