Shingleroof Campmeeting

    

Ten Generations of Worship in the Pioneer  Tradition
Located in Henry County, Georgia U.S.A
Documented by Gene Morris Jr.
Henry County Historian
A Local Legacies Project Submitted to
The U.S. Library of Congress in 1999

 

Photo Gallery

Photo # 1. Above:

The earliest photograph of a typical Shingleroof Campground Tent was made in the 1920's and most of the tents on the campground continue this basic traditional design to this day. With the exception of the traditional "brush arbor" attached to the front of the porch; brush arbors fell out of fashion in the mid-twentieth century. Rocking chairs and benches are still front porch favorites. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Gene Crumbley)  

Photo # 2.

Photo # 2. Above:

Here 1920's era Campmeeting preachers and their domestic servant gather to be photographed. The wood shingle roofed Tabernacle is visible in the far left of the photograph. This picture was made in front of the old Preacher's Tent, which was located near the southwest corner of the campground and is still in use. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Gene Crumbley)  

Photo # 3.

Photo # 3. Above:

This group of girls was photographed at Campmeeting in 1924. Campmeeting has always had a significant social and recreational aspect; note the badminton net tied to a tree in the right of the shot. The girls on the ends of the row are Emma Stewart and Lucille Stewart. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Gene Crumbley)  

Photo # 4.

Photo # 4. Above:

Simple swings made from a wooden board hanging by ropes from a limb of one of the giant Shingleroof oak trees have always been a favorite of the children. This photo features a group of children gathered around an old time "plank swing" in the 1920's. Tents visible in background. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Gene Crumbley)  

Photo # 5.

Photo # 5. Above:

This photograph features several of the old wood shingle roofed tents. These particular tents were destroyed by fire when the north row of tents burned in 1938. Note the slats of wood nailed between the tents on the left side of the photo. This old practice was to keep livestock, and children, from wandering on and off the grounds. The inside of the square of tents was a virtual playpen, with lots of adult supervision. (Photo courtesy of Sam McCullough)

   

Revised April 26, 2005

Created by Scott Rowan    Copyright (c) June 01, 2000.  All Rights Reserved.